Remembering One of My Favorite (Gas)p! Leak Stories
My Designated Nose (the person whom I ask if I can borrow their nose to check smells) is one of the most important people in the world to me! He has saved me from a lot of scary moments.
My DN will usually be the first one to point out if I’m in danger, but I want a share a story where my DN wasn’t the one who warned me of a dangerous situation. I’m going to post it because looking back, I think it’s a little funny.
Anyways, so because of my anosmia, I usually refrain from using gas stoves because I want to avoid a life-threatening accident. But, because I like to travel and visit family, I haven’t been able to avoid these types of stoves completely.
I remember one time at my grandma in laws house, I wanted a cup of instant coffee. So, I heated up some water on her—you guessed it! gas stove. It was an older model, so it had a weird little quirk where you had to do this funny thing for it to turn off completely. I made sure the flames were put out, but I guess I did NOT turn the gas off correctly.
Next thing I know, the gas fumes had spread everywhere! My grandma in law’s room is the closest to the kitchen, so she comes out of there, startled and shouting off the top of her lungs, “Who forgot to turn off the stove?” “Can’t anyone smell the gas?” “Yazmin, can’t you tell how bad it stinks?”
I’m standing there alone, shocked, unsure of what to do. A second later, I see my amazing DN aka husband, rush in (seemed like outta nowhere) to shut the gas off.
This moment is so vivid. I can still visually recall everyone (aunts, nieces, nephew) coming into the kitchen minutes later, holding their noses, opening windows, and yelling that no one better smoke. I was SO embarrassed. SO embarrassed!
Well, there was some good that came out of all of this, though. That was the day I officially came out to my DN’s family and explained that I have anosmia.
Not a single person questioned it.
I dedicate this post to all the amazing DN’s out there. Make sure to thank yours today.
Also, have you ever lived through a scary gas leak experience? What happened?
The Girl Who Can’t Smell